Sunday, March 22, 2009

Good old comfort food

We're heading into spring so we don't have too many more opportunities for heavy comfort foods. But yesterday was somewhat rainy and cool, so we decided to try out Ina Garten's Spaghetti and Meatballs from the "Barefoot Contessa Family Style" cookbook. This was a big step for us since Matt has been making his version of spaghetti and meatballs with his own sauce for about the last 10 years.
The recipe was fairly simple for both the meatballs and sauce. I wasn't able to find ground veal for the meatballs so I substituted another 1/2 pound of ground pork instead. The pork definitely came out strong over the ground beef instead of a more blended mixture. The sauce was really good, I think the Chianti gave it a great taste. It was very rustic. But I actually prefer my onions and garlic in the meatballs instead of the sauce.
I love the Barefoot Contessa, but I don't think we'll make this recipe again. Matt's spaghetti and meatballs is still the household favorite! —CS

No comments:

Post a Comment