I'm not sure if this is cheating or not. But about a week and a half ago, I made Asian Chicken Noodle Soup with Ginger and Chiles from Bon Appetit's "fast easy fresh" cookbook. I got this cookbook for Christmas, but it's full of Bon Appetit recipes that I have been making for years. I have been making this soup with Thanksgiving leftovers since 2004. And because we love this recipe so much, we use rotisserie chicken in place of the turkey so we can have it year-round. It's so simple to make, and the serranos tossed in to the bowl before serving gives it some great heat. When you want the comfort of chicken noodle soup, this twist is just what the doctor ordered.
Tonight we're trying out our new panini machine (yes, appliances are another obsession in addition to cookbooks!), so we thought soup would go great with our roasted pepper-mozzarella-chicken paninis. We made the Roast Turkey Vegetable Soup with Rice from Williams-Sonoma's "Soup for Supper." It was really light, fresh, and flavorful. We used already roasted turkey and a bunch of veggies—mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, and broccoli. The recipe called for homemade turkey stock, which we opted not to do. Maybe next Thanksgiving! With spring and/or Cinco de Mayo around the corner, I might have to try the Asparagus Soup or the Chicken, Tortilla, and Lime Soup next.
Ten cookbooks down, 65 to go (since the initial counting of cookbooks, we added the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook, and then Matt was given an Atlanta cookbook). We better get cooking! —CS
No comments:
Post a Comment